spotlight on:TREB MONTERAS, the director of "RESPETO"

direk treb monteras: a journey for cinemalaya


What's so magical about the coming 2017 Cinemalaya Film Festival is its renewed visions of hope for the future of Philippine Cinema. Alongside with it, you'll see upon the faces of young and aspiring new film makers the contentment and the smiles ..., the never-ending dreams, the unique texture of the New Millenials as film artists, and the sweet and sugary spice of styles and direction.

Meeting again this time a film director of our own choice, chubby but handsome Alberto Monteras, better known as Treb, up close and personal- was one great honor on our part. Why honor?, you may ask. Honor in the sense that RESPECT and AWE was what we're feeling on this young film maker of 37 years of age- who had done a lot of things already in the field of the entertainment scene. having cirected countless concerts, music videos, commercials, and the likes. He had also directed briefly on channel 7's Party Pilipinas noontime show before. And now, he's out to conquer a new dimension- dilm directing for the CINEMA.

The venue was Artsy Cafe along Maginhawa Street. The little drops of rains made the meeting more memorable and lovable. And upon getting-off from a tricycle, a blogger saw his SUBJECT, who just came-out from his van- director Alberto Monteras. He pretty looked chubby but handsome.

"I am now rushing the the Post-Production stages of my film", direk Treb started saying to a blogger over a handsome mug of coffee and chocolate cheese cake. "Everyone of us are almost delayed in finishing our films. But we're all confident we can catch up, though. I am now polishing the sound design and the music background of my film.

"Respeto, my film is my first for Cinemalaya", direk Treb continued saying. "Actually, as a director, ka-edad ko ang Cinemalaya. I mean, when I started it out as a film director, that's also the time the Cinemalaya was born- vividly as I remember now. The producers of Big Time, one of the film entries of the first batch of Cinemalaya Filmfest were my friends. At that time, I already wanted to join, but it took me thirteen years before I did it. This is the 13th Cinemalaya film fest now, and finally, I joined. Thanks to all the people at Cinemalaya for trusting my film project.

"Incidentally, the producers of Big Time were also the ones who helped me out with the funds", he said. "And that made things a lot easier for me to finish my project. The Cinemalaya film people gave us 750, 000 cash as seed money to finance our films. And it helped a lot."

What can direk Treb say about the Cinemalaya Film festival, by the way?

"I can say, it's the most prestigious film festival of all", he answered. "It's so challenging on my part to be a part of it this year. And I could say by now, I got it right."

Why did it took him 13 years to finally join this film festival?

"You see, I started out with nothing, really", direk Treb answered again. "So, I wanted first to earn as a director. I saved money first which became my priority. I did MTV's, directed commercials and TV shows, concerts and other things. I guess, this is the right time to finally direct a movie. With Respeto, I never had regrets directing a film. It's all worthwhile."

What is Respeto all about?

"It's all about a young music guy", direk Treb answerd. "It's a film about music. Ang maganda rito, may sariling identity ang film na ito. It's something so original, and I guess, movie goers would all love it. I incorporated one conservative and traditional poet in person of Dido dela Paz, and he was great. Abra is also good in this film. I really couldn't ask for more."

How would direk Treb describe his Cinemalaya journey?

"In general, masaya naman", he answered with a smile this time. "It was also exciting. So beautiful to cherish- right from the start when Cinemalaya picked me as one of the participants this year and up to the time I finished shooting the movie. There were times, I wanted to give up. But the challenges only made me a better person. I became stronger more as a person and a as new film maker."

According to direk Treb, all the rappers he got in the film acted well.

"I conducted first an acting workshop on them before they faced the cameras, and Tim Harnes helped me out in those acting workshop", he revealed. "But the good thing about them, they all wrote the lines in their rap music. Like Abra, he did his rap lines in 10 seconds. And it made life more easier for me. The other rappers in the film, aside from Abra, are Loonie, Mzhayt, G-Clown, Abaddon, J-Skeelz, negativo, Mike Kosa, Luxuria and Apekz."

*************

Young film makers, especially young film artists are all in the lookout for their "identities" as artists of sorts.

"In a personal way, I also look for my own voice as a film maker and I also look for respect", direk treb said in the end. "And that's why my film Respeto is about asking for respect in a community. Cinemalaya allows you also to look for it. And everything else falls into right places."


The wonders of the Cinema lets you explore. More deeper into life. More profound and everlasting.

It takes one journey of sorts

one epic battle for love's gain

one vision

one film

one soul

that lingers...


UNTIL


FOREVER.



(written by robert manuguid silverio)*


direk treb: challenges makes him stronger

treb: passionate as a film maker

treb: a cinemalaya "first-timer"

treb: cool and easy


Director of "Respeto"
ALBERTO MONTERAS II Since 2004,Treb has been directing top-rating TV shows, commercials, live concerts and over 300 music videos to his name. He has done album cover shoots for some of the country’s best artists as well.

His award winning TV shows include Party Pilipinas, Myx Ambushed, Myx Live, Kusina Master and Sarap Diva.
Treb has been consistently recognized by various award-giving bodies for his work. In 2011, he won in Nokia Europe’s N8 Producers International Film Competition. Not surprising for someone whose love for film and the arts was nurtured at home and in school at an early age. He was already doing animation at the tender age of 6, using coins and his father’s video camera.
During his childhood, he attended summer courses on painting at the Metropolitan Museum. A consistent dean’s lister, art director of the school publication, and student leader, this BFAAdvertising Arts Graduate from the UST College of FineArts and Design, is also a recipient of the Quezon Leadership Award. He continued to hone his skills at the Mowelfund Film Institute and the International Institute for Film and the Arts.
Recently, he attended the American Cinematographer’s Masterclass in Los Angeles, California. Treb is working on his first feature film“Respeto,” a finalist for the Cinemalaya 2017 Film Festival.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento

RUDY JACKSON, MASKI NASA AMERIKA AY NAKAKATANGGAP PA RIN NG MGA BIYAYA NA IBINIBIGAY DIN NAMAN NIYA SA MGA KAIBIGAN NIYA SA PILIPINAS!

SIR RUDY (IN DRAG) WITH A FRIEND NAMED MANNY SIR RUDY WITH HIS MOST INTIMATE FRIENDS SIR RUDY IN HIS NEPHEW'S HOUSE IN THE U.S. EARLY CH...