ESTEBAN FULAY, JR. : OUT OF NOWHERE, PLAYS JESUS...

esteban smiles




In a minute and in an instant, he was there. All too suddenly, and I didn't notice it. Down below the flight of stairs leading to the magnificent middle of Wilfredo Ma. Guerrero center stage- I saw him like a magic. He was smiling, at the verge of laughter, too, but he managed to control it and regain back his serious side. He was so... cute.

It's like, he was just put upon there. All too quick, without you noticing it before. A young man with those great chinito looks, long hair and ambivalent power of captivity. And as the feeling lingered, along with positivity of the smiles he created, one person felt like he's back home.

This time, in a different venue. Mixed-in with brilliant students from the University of the Philippines and a precise but sincere theater director. With a bonus-factor of interviewing one fine young man- that goes by the name of ESTEBAN FULAY, JR.

Artists have a way of making themselves smile. It's always refreshing to think that younger actors could always save your day.

"Out of nowhere, I suddenly landed the part of being an alternate for the role of Jesus", Esteban Fulay, Jr. said to a blogger- with his eyes almost hidden as he smiled. "Tipong suntok sa buwan, nag-konek-konek lang po ang lahat. And all I knew, I finally got a call from direk Alexander asking me to be the alternate actor for the role of Jesus."

'Jesus' by the way is not really Jesus Christ. It's Jesus Gatbiaya, the lead character in Dulaang U.P.'s BAGONG CRISTO. The Jesus character in the said play is a labor leader whose teachings empowered fellow laborers to fight against social injustice and inequality. The play BAGONG CRISTO shows Jesus Christ's passion as lived by a man (Jesus Gatbiaya) who is willing to offer his life for the liberation of his people.

Esteban is only 18 years old. And actually, he's not a student of Theater at U.P., but rather, a student of Speech.

"Maybe, joining some oratorical contests at U.P., it made me more curious to also pursue an acting job", Esteban continued saying. "It made me develop as a better person, too. That's why when I learned that they're having auditions for this play, I sneaked-in."

A different role was first offered to Esteban. But because of some conflicts on the schedule of actor Boo Gabunada (the main actor portraying Jesus Gatbiaya), Esteban just saw himself alternating with Boo for the lead part.

A sensitive, young and fresh new theater actor as that, Esteban could feel so much. Especially to the character he was portraying.

"It's very empowering", Esteban said. "Even though I'm just acting for that part on the play, I feel that I was talking to the real Jesus already and to every Filipino working as a laborer. I feel that they're alive and representing every living human being and Filipinos who still suffer the plight of wrong working conditions. Sobrang sarap nu'ng feeling na maging instrument ako in performing and acting the part of Jesus. Parang nakakausap ko na rin ang mga kapwa Pilipino ko.

"You see, I admit, I am not rich", Esteban continued. "I am also among them. I also belong to them. That's why it's so personal to me, acting on this play. It's my parents who struggled for me and gave me a good education. I could imagine them sweating it out just to provide for our family. I could always cry for them whenever I think of that. Me and Jesus are but one in the eyes of my soul."

Esteban read books, studied Acting with a Drama coach, prepared himself and equipped himself so much- in order to fully gave more justice to the role of Jesus.

"And Boo, the main actor, we collaborated, too", Esteban said at the end. "He helped me and supported me, too. I got more ideas as we talked together on how to perform Jesus. I go by with him every time we went home after the rehearsals. And we got to bond more. I told him my own ideas, too, on how will I execute the role. We mixed-in the ideas and the result was great.

"But of course, it's still direk Alexander we both owed much", Esteban ended. "He dared us to explore as actors and he gave us freedom. If it's not good outcome, direk Alexander will advise us not to do it. But if it impresses him, then it's okay."


*********************


You see the name Jesus in many different ways. Sometimes, you see it in a travelling speed and journeys past of your one-dimensional life. 

Sometimes, you see it, too, in the arms of an ex-love, reincarnated upon the looks of a new theater actor...

Yes, the world never seemingly ends-

and the name of Jesus


stands


in the heart and mind


of one living friend-




FOREVER.




(as written by robert manuguid silverio)


esteban (far right) with boo gabunada (co-actor) and alexander cortez (director)

esteban as jesus gatbiaya

esteban: memories of an "ex"

esteban: serious look

esteban in a short hair


Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento

RUDY JACKSON, MASKI NASA AMERIKA AY NAKAKATANGGAP PA RIN NG MGA BIYAYA NA IBINIBIGAY DIN NAMAN NIYA SA MGA KAIBIGAN NIYA SA PILIPINAS!

SIR RUDY (IN DRAG) WITH A FRIEND NAMED MANNY SIR RUDY WITH HIS MOST INTIMATE FRIENDS SIR RUDY IN HIS NEPHEW'S HOUSE IN THE U.S. EARLY CH...