"NO MORE GOODBYES, CINEMALAYA!" (a closing narrative piece for this year's most prestigious film fest in the Philippines- but not forever).*


Later at 2 p.m., the closing ceremonies for this year's Cinemalaya 16 is going to be seen virtually at the Cultural Center of the Philippines' FB Page and also at KUMU. And it has been quite a journey, somehow brief and fast, but as the whole world has watched the film entries there, yeah indeed, the beauty and awesomeness of Philippine Cinema soared higher and bountifully, exceeding our far greater expectations for that "cinematic thirst" amidst the New Normal and the changing but evolving planet Earth. 

I was looking at the moon last night, but it's somehow hidden by the clouds. Yet its light, even though partly hidden, remains so strong and it still lighted-up the skies. It left a feeling for me, that even though that the moon was hiding, he's still guarding and protecting us like any other security guards or Guardian Angels. It later gave me a feeling of hope, too. Just like that kind of feeling whenever I see rainbows in the sky. Just like that feeling, also, whenever I see beautiful films, full-length or short, documentary or narrative, foreign or local- wherein even the dark realities of life becomes a perfect art, and whenever the everlasting tunes and melody of a lovely song lingers in my heart and mind forever.

 No more goodbyes, Cinemalaya, please, no more goodbyes. Because whenever I say goodbye to you, you seemingly still try to catch me by on those dark corners and sad moments of my life. You beheld me, you touch me, you comfort me. That's why I will hold you back again, never wanting to let you go. And yet after that, I will be gone again. 

 Can I promise not to ever let you go again. my Cinemalaya? In you, I see ghosts of my past, I see my old beloved director-friends like Maryo J. delos Reyes, Celso Ad Castillo, Gil Portes, Marilou Diaz-Abaya and Peque Gallaga. I also see the souls of some dead colleagues of mine, pushing me back to write furthermore about the glory and the beauty of the Entertainment Arts. Then, they would whisper to me: "You have to continue-on inspiring the young film artists out there, it's our Legacy, and it's the future."

 Sometimes, I feel that what I was doing was a lonely battle, in the previous years of attending Cinemalaya in the fabulous setting of Cultural Center of the Philippines, some elite (or pretending to be) people will look down on me as I sip coffee in the basement canteen or smoke somewhere in the Harbour Square amidst the bay. But whenever there were kind souls out to give me some little money for transportation and food, and whenever there were kind celebrities out to share their generosity whenever I interview them, I will LIVE and continue on. 

 This year, I saw a GREATER bunch. This year, I saw the future of the Philippine Cinema. It allured me so brightly. Mixed-in with the veteran actors, great character actors and old film artists, the young Cinemalaya film makers attested that they would never let us down. That they would take care of us when we're old and weary, that they will entertain us all the more when we're feeling low. The likes of Carla Pulido, Martika Ramirez-Escobar, Kat Sumagaysay, James Mayo, Hubert Tibi, Cheska Marfori, Sonny Calvento, Richard Salvadico, Joanna Arong, Reeden Fajardo . . . and also the likes of those other young film makers who showcased their short film works in the Indie Nation category. 

How I missed seeing the full-length works of those new independent film makers like Rain Yamson and David Corpuz. But as what director Joey Reyes had said in the Virtual Presscon of Cinemalaya 16, next year, it's gonna be a rumble and a feast for all these young full-length film makers and artists. And next year that Cinemalaya will be turning 17 years old, how we envision him to be like that of a handsome and magnificent macho young man, full of wonder and surprises. 

 My angel was 17 years old going to 18 when he died. And the numbers and the signs were all too-powerful for me, I could not carry-on in some moments and some logic thinking. But I stayed-on whenever I hear his voice, whenever I would smell his sweet perfume and wherever the wind blew upon my very ears to whisper something. 

Yes, no more Goodbyes, my Cinemalaya. No more goodbyes. For now, it closes, but the door opens-again next year. 

In the days to come, windows, too, will open. 

To breathe a new air and a new feeling of awe. 



 FOREVER. 



 (as written by robert manuguid silverio)
***the video above on jackie evancho's cover of the song "Danny Boy", is not related to Cinemalaya 16. It was simply attached at the top of this article to create a more dramatic tune and feeling. thank you.-rms.









Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento

RUDY JACKSON, MASKI NASA AMERIKA AY NAKAKATANGGAP PA RIN NG MGA BIYAYA NA IBINIBIGAY DIN NAMAN NIYA SA MGA KAIBIGAN NIYA SA PILIPINAS!

SIR RUDY (IN DRAG) WITH A FRIEND NAMED MANNY SIR RUDY WITH HIS MOST INTIMATE FRIENDS SIR RUDY IN HIS NEPHEW'S HOUSE IN THE U.S. EARLY CH...